Yesterday I bought my first stuff for my anticipated travel. Several things guided my decisions:
1) Ethiopians are very modest. Skirts should be to the knees. Shorts are not really appropriate most places. With my (very long) legs, it's difficult to know what would be okay.
2) I want to pack as lightly as possible to make more room for donations and such.
3) Packing lightly means doing laundry in-country. So I want items that are light enough to dry overnight.
4) Cost is an issue- I don't have a lot of money to spend on travel clothes.
So, yesterday in W*lmart, I found something that was absolutely perfect!
1) Mid-calf length flare Capri that are not too tight but are still somewhat form-fitting.
2) They are very light and take up hardly any space.
3) As a cotton/poly blend (with 3% spandex) they should wash and line-dry fairly quickly.
4) They were on clearance for $5!!!!! I actually bought 2 pairs- one in navy and one in khaki green. They are definitely something I will wear over the summer/fall here. And since they are fairly "neutral" colors, they should match several of the tops I will take to Ethiopia.
I've also been busy developing Excel spreadsheets for packing. I have a master packing list divided by person (Grace, Abigail, New Child), General (Snacks, Electronics, etc) and subdivided into categories (clothes, sanitary, fun stuff). I also have a "What to Pack Where" list to make sure that I have everything in the right place (and don't accidentally get stuck without my court papers if a bag is lost.) The lists are not complete, but the plan is to take the list with me when I travel so as to make return packing easier- to know how many of what I brought and need to re-pack, and to remember what needs to be in carry on and such.
Now, if I can just find a travel companion, I am good to go!